Saturday, November 6, 2010

Roger's Gardens and Meeting fellow EHAG Artist Debbee Thibault



At the last minute I read that Debbee Thibault, well known folk artist and fellow EHAG member,
was going to be at a signing event at Roger's Gardens in Newport Beach, CA. 
Rogers isn't far from my home so I headed over to see what I could see.


Every season, Roger's is decorated to the hilt and going into this Christmas season
is no exception. This beautiful nursery is always elaborately graced with fine ornaments, 10ft decorated 
Christmas trees, each with a different color and texture theme set among fine antiques,
 beautiful art work, and plants and arrangements to die for.


I've always stood in front of the display cases that house the works of Vaillancourt, Christopher Radko, and Debbee Thibault with eyes full of wonder and admiration for their fun designs. 
There was a special table set up for Debbee today with a little Christmas tree loaded with her special ornaments, and when there was a slight lul between crowds, I went up and introduced myself as a fellow EHAGer and that brought on a big smile.
She was friendly and most gracious as we chatted about sculpting techniques, and her fun art pieces.
You would think I would have taken a photo... but alas no. Silly me.

In the same room there were some works by another EHAG artist, Vergie Lightfoot. Last month I missed her Halloween signing, and Bethany Lowe's too! (I didn't know about it), by one day! I did get to see the few pieces she had left, (such as the kitty below)... I kind of snuk (is that a word?) this photo.... and
they were so amazing!


Vergi had some very Whimsical and Wintery looking pieces there today and as usual,
those signature kooky Marty Feldman like eyes gazing back at you. So fun!
If you're in the area of Newport Beach, California, you might want to pop over there
to have a peep. The fragrant fresh trees, garlands and Poinsettias will be there in a few weeks.
It's a nice place to visit, especially at Christmas!



Fully blooming Christmas Cactus at Rogers.


I'll close with this photo from one of my aviaries.
This is the Australian flight with Lady Gouldian Finch. A while back I'd shared some photos of some
of the olive green fledglings. This is what the Lady Goulds look like in full Technicolor!




4 comments:

Unknown said...

That tree is "to die for", how wonderful that you were able to take the time to pop down there, I hope you made some purchases and at least ended up with a hand signed piece of her work. I haven't been down since a couple of Easters ago but I know what an amazing place that is. I did make it to one of Radko's signings there, years past though and know the thrill and wonder of the beauty that abounds. Good for you Deb, now you can get that wonderful tree up of your own, after a visit like that, it is all the inspiration you need to be off and running! Hugs, my friend, Marilou

vintagepaletteart said...

Lucky girl! Those are your birdies? They are gorgeous!!

Jennifer MacNeill said...

That is too cool. I've heard of Roger's Gardens, must be a really neat place to get to see plants and art. Love your birdies too. Those birds always catch my eye in the pet shop but I wouldn't have birds unless I had an aviary.

krys kirkpatrick said...

This all looks amazing. What inspiration to get my creative flow going to decorate my own tree. Have a happy jolly winter.