Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Praying Mantis hatched on Mother's Day!


Two weeks ago, at the Garden Show, I bought a container with two
Praying Mantis egg cases. Each case can contain anywhere
from 50 to 200 babies.
I've had them on my desk and keeping an eye on them hoping to be 
able to see the hatching. The tricky bit is that if I wasn't home
to see it and quickly release them, they would slowly begin
to prey upon one another as they have ravenous appetites upon hatching.


Well, tonight I was getting ready to shut down the computer and a subtle
movement caught my eye.
"Oh my gosh! They've hatched!"
Through the wire mesh I could see tiny 1/4 inch Mantis babies peeping 
through the wire, saying, "excuse us, but could you please let us out?"
WhooHoo!
Aren't they cute! :-)


With flashlight in hand, I took the container outside and dispersed the little guys 
throughout the garden, and nestled the container with the still hatching babies 
in the middle of the ribbon grass in the hopes it will offer the cases some
 protection from predators till they all make their way out into the garden.
God Speed little guys! 
Hope you survive the wilderness and Happy Mother's Day to me! 
What? Isn't everyone a Praying Mantis Mom? :-)
Well, Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's out there!

1 comment:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Well someone has to love the wee darlings....smile! Just reminds me of an icky episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.....so just mind your back LOL