Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Birds and Booms Wednesday....


Good Morning or afternoon, as the case my be. Today I'm offering a few different photos than usual, except for the exception above, which is an exceptional Cecile Brunner Climbing Rose. This little bush is about 25yrs old and is the last of four that used to be along side the driveway.


Since replanting the driveway planter, I've put in a variety of sun loving plants. In addition to the roses, there are two varieties of Lavendar. This blossom is Allardi Lavendar which is a cross. It booms all year and is one of the more fragrant. The leaves smell most heavenly when pruning them!


This flower is from one of my Carnivorous Pitcher Plants. Actually, because this is the first time I've ever
seen this, I'm not sure if it's a bloom or seeds.... I'll have to look it up. At any rate, it's very unusual and I think it's a sign the plant is happy in it's location.


I have planted aviaries with a variety of predominatly finches and song birds. In early morning and late afternoon, everyone is happily singing and chirping and it's so pleasant to hear them when I'm outside gardening. 
These are little fledgling Lady Gouldian Finch. It's amazing how well they blend into the landscaping with their olive coloring as little baba's. The parent birds are moulting, so are not the most photogenic at the moment. I'll snap some shots of them in a few weeks, when they have finished the moult, as I think you'll be most surprised at the difference in the juveniles and the vibrant adult colors.

Don't forget to check out the EHAG "Black and White Challenge" beginning this Saturday, May 1st, on
both Ebay and Etsy! Simply search "EHAG" to see the wonderful and unique Halloween art that the EHAG artists have created especially for this challenge! I've seen sneek peeks and there are lots of fun goodies!




1 comment:

Jennifer MacNeill said...

What adorable little birds! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see more.
The flower pictures are beautiful. I was just reading about those roses yesterday which made me really want to buy one. I think I need something for them to climb first though:)