Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What's Blooming Wednesday!



Following the lead of my friend Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor of Gypsy Mare Studios, I'm posting
a few shots of the lovelies that are blooming in my garden this Wednesday.
Despite the wind, rain and earthquake, the flowers are bursting forth, more and more each day.
Two years ago I took out the lawn in the front parkway and planted shrubs and flowers. It's been a work in progress and with each season they're presenting a greater show of color.
The yellow flowers above are a Popcorn Bush.
One might think it's mearly the yellow color which gives the plant it's name but, it holds a delicous
surprise... when you rub the leaves you're treated with the amazing aroma of
Buttered Popcorn! yum!


I planted this Blue Hibiscus last year and the squirrels had a wonderful time
continually rebounding off of this shrub, and were constantly breaking
it's branches... ah well. This year though, the squirrels are being kept happy with
a supply of peanuts and several lovely lavendar/blue blossoms have shown thier faces.


Each spring the miniature Ice Plant that is bordering the garden gives
this hot pink show. OooLala! When the hot weather of summer arrives, this succlent like
plant looks cool and inviting, and is drought tolerant.. something that's important here in
Southern California.

I'm working on new sculptures so check back in a few days!


3 comments:

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Popcorn bush - wow I've never heard of it - how neat! I love the ice plant, I bought one last year but it didn't like my garden.

Unknown said...

Wow! Actually, I've never heard of a popcorn bush either! Everything is so great! I have envy though--I have nothing blooming on my little city plot :(

Patience said...

Me three! Popcorn Bush -- that's a new one on me, and I'm super intrigued..!